Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Amid Concrete and Clay and General Decay, Nature Must Still Find a Way.


I was recently given (on loan) the extremely awesome Permaculture: A Designers' Manual, which is by Bill Mollison, the self-made Permaculture pioneer who coined the term (which comes from Permanent Agriculture). I didn't realize that not only is Permaculture a method of farming, but it is also a way of life (makes sense if you think about it). It encompasses a philosophy (one that I really agree with), an economic system, and legal system. I'm sure I will find a lot of great quotes as I peruse it, but here are some pearls of wisdom from Chapter 1:

"A person of courage today is a person of peace."

"If we question why we are here and what life is, then we lead ourselves into both science and mysticism which are coming closer together as science itself approaches its conceptual limits."

"The experience of the natural world and its laws has been almost abandoned for closed, artificial, and meaningless lives, perhaps best typified by the dreams of those who would live in space satellites and abandon a dying earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment