Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Nifty stuff

Here is some really great stuff I found while running around the art fairs a few weekends ago hawking my resume:

http://www.jeongmeeyoon.com/aw_pinkblue.htm

I came across this at Pulse. The first thing that grabbed me about "Pink and Blue" is the overwhelming (yet aesthetically pleasing) visual experience of seeing all of those products in one color combined into a giant photograph (and the kids are adorable). Then I watched a short documentary on the project that was playing next to it and read the artist's statement. Yoon insightful turned a simple observation into a Pop-y critique of consumer culture and gender socialization. I really love that, when an artist makes you look twice at something that you take for granted because it inundates your culture. Also, her writing is refreshingly clear and efficient.

http://www.sandowbirk.com/paintings/recent-works/

I haven't yet had as much time as I would like to read into this one, but I saw American Qur'an at Pulse and it's really interesting, original and relevant.


...And "The Afternoon of the Fawn," just because it's amazing. The way Nureyev transforms into the fawn is just magical...there's some great physical acting. I wish there was a way to see Nijinsky dancing it the first time! I guess I'll have to wait for the time machine to be invented...

No comments:

Post a Comment